We searched for quite some time for the “right” wine club, one that would send unique wines and not charge absurd amounts of money for wine we had never heard of! Enter The Wall Street Journal Wine Club and we found a winner.
After joining about two years ago I feel like I can give a full review of our experience to date. The club sends quarterly shipments that you can decline at any time and frequently offers special pricing on cases. We usually get the red option since we aren’t big white wine drinkers.
Here is the description from their web-site:
The Discovery Club from WSJwine offers you exactly that, starting with an introductory 12-bottle case … yours for under $7 a bottle.
- Every three months, our experts will reserve a special 12-bottle case for you. All will be premium wines from top quality producers in the US and elsewhere.
- With every case you’ll also receive useful tasting notes and serving advice on each wine.
- Rest assured, you’re under absolutely no obligation to take any further cases. It’s always entirely up to you. And there are no membership fees.
- We tell you in advance about the wines. If you’re happy with the selection, you needn’t do anything – we’ll deliver them to you. Simple as that!
- If you prefer to miss a case, no problem, you simply let us know. You can ‘skip’ as many cases as you wish and are free to cancel at any time.
- All future cases are offered at just $139.99 (plus shipping & tax) – saving at least 20% on normal prices.
- A little extra wine is invaluable during the holidays – and you’ll be offered a special Holiday Case, in addition to your regular shipment. We’ll write to you about this in good time.
- Price per case is very reasonable
- Unique Wines
- Retail price per bottle has ranged between $8-$35
- Having to be home to sign for the wine (not a huge con and I understand the risk of underage drinking associated with requiring signatures)
- Having to opt out of case (we have LOVED every case we have gotten but it can be hard to remember to opt out of something)
The introductory case is a REALLY good deal, you usually get some sort of gift and extraordinary pricing on a case of wine. If you are looking for a reasonably priced, not a lot of strings attached wine club that has unique makers the Wall Street Journal Wine Club is a good option.