Cannelini beans were on sale a few weeks ago and I had stocked up on cans and wanted to find a good recipe to use up at least 2 cans. A quick Google search and I came across this beauty with tons of fresh flavor and a hearty serving of vegetables I knew this would be a good weeknight meal.
While Mike had a 5-6:30 conference call, I prepped dinner and enjoyed a delicious combo of Mint Sparking Water and some Pom Wonderful Juice. It was nice to be in the kitchen by myself happily chopping away. I enjoyed the quiet, the extra sun light (thank you Day Light Savings Time, it was 6:30 and still light out!)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 (4-ounce) links chicken sausage, cut into (1/2-inch) slices
- 1 zucchini, quartered and cut into (1/2-inch) slices (about 2 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 6 cups chopped trimmed kale (about 1/2 pound)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 (16-ounce) cans cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and sausage 4 minutes or until sausage is browned.
- Add zucchini and garlic; cook 2 minutes. Add kale and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve immediately.
After dinner I was craving something a little sweet and I had remembered seeing a pear recipe on Amie’s Blog (I made a few minor modifications)
- 1 pear
- 1 tablespoon POM Wonderful juice
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon chopped almonds
- Slice pears lengthwise into eighths.
- In a small bowl, stir together the POM Wonderful juice, agave nectar, cinnamon and almond extract.
- Spoon mixture over pears.
- Top pears with chopped nuts and vanilla ice cream