While I am at meat eater there a quite a few meals that I make that don’t contain meat just for the sake of budgeting and convenience some days. With spring weather on the mind I was looking for a fresh salad that combined brightly colored vegetables with bold flavors and would be something that I could put together in about 15 minutes.
There is something about fresh mint that add so much flavor and just makes me think of warmer weather. This would be a great pot luck dish!
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from 3 limes)
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 jalapeno
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 package cubed tofu
- 1/4 medium red cabbage (8 ounces), cored and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 cup mint
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- Whisk together tofu, lime juice, soy sauce, jalapeno, oil and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add cabbage, carrots, cilantro, mint and toss well to combine.
Served with kale chips, a handful of cashews, a few slices of cheese and a nice bottle of 2009 Parnell Estate Cabernet from the Alexander Valley. Perfect week night vegetarian dinner, and vegan if I would have omitted the cheese.