Why YOU Should Be in the Weight Room

June 6, 2011

99.9% of the time I am the only woman in the weight room. I walk in with my notebook, my weight lifting gloves, my headphones in my ears. I am there to lift weights, hard and as heavy as I can. On more than one occasion I have had guys come up to me and offer to help me lift something or “show me some moves.” I politely decline and continue all of my exercises.

Sunday morning after 30 minutes of hard cardio I headed towards the free weights and actually noticed that every guy in the area stopped and looked at me when I went up to the squat rack. I had an additional 60 pounds on the bar (total of 100 pounds I was squatting) and I honestly think one of the guys said holy sh*%. Made me feel good about myself! What better than a backwards compliment to make a list of why you lifting is so good.

With less than 20% of most women lifting weights more than once a week it is so important to get in the weight room. Just two 20-30 minutes weight sessions a week can make a huge impact!

Why YOU Should Be in the Weight Room

Reduce Overall Body Fat

Helps Boost Your Metabolism

You Lose Muscle as You Age, By Lifting Weight You Help Maintain Some of that Muscle

Women DO NOT Produce Enough Testosterone to Get “Bulky”

Muscles Are SEXY- Shapely legs, sleek arms and rounded shoulders? Yes Please!

I have been lifting weights for 10 years and have done a lot of programs, from creating my own to following a program. Looking for some program ideas? These all do a great job of explaining how to do each exercise and designing a program for you to follow.

New Rules of Lifting

Product Details

New Rules of Lifting for Women

Product Details

Women’s Health Big Book of Exercises

Product Details

Maximum Strength

Product Details

Check out You Tube Video’s for ideas on form and don’t be afraid to ask someone to spot you. You should see small increases in your weights each week, the last few reps should be hard to complete but still done with good form.

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

aileen @ Pharmafoodie June 6, 2011 at 3:22 pm

I love lifting weights. That may be because I don’t have the long, lean runner body type – I have the stockier, muscular body type so it’s easy for me to put on muscle. It also means it’s a little too easy for me to bulk up and since my endurance sucks, I spend more time working on cardio :-(.

aileen @ Pharmafoodie June 6, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Ashley @ Healthy Life For Me June 6, 2011 at 6:45 pm

I LOVE weight lifting. I would honestly rather lift weight than do cardio…Even though I LOVE running!

Ashley @ Healthy Life For Me June 6, 2011 at 6:45 pm

sarah, simply cooked June 7, 2011 at 10:23 am

I try to lift weights every weekend and run during the week. I just have a nice short routine (30 minutes) that I like to do on Sunday mornings before church and I’m beginning to see a change in my arms–which is what I most want. :) Thanks for this post–you are so right! Maybe I need to add one more session during the week… hmm.

sarah, simply cooked June 7, 2011 at 10:23 am

Mo June 7, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Great post. I’ve come to adore lifting and the results I get.
I just wish I had been as smart as you and started in my 20′s rather than 4 years ago. At least I’m doing it now though!

Mo June 7, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Great post. I’ve come to adore lifting and the results I get.