For Christmas my Mom got me a huge basket filled with foodie things, like olive oil, pasta, organic sauce, and 2 big bags of soup mix. Almost 2 months later I finally pulled out the Hearty Soup mix filled with lentils, rice, dried peas and then cooked with lots of fresh vegetables. A perfect soup to enjoy all week long for lunches!
It takes about an hour and a half to make, so maybe not for a weeknight but if you make this on a weekend afternoon the whole house smells so good. Nothing like a big pot of soup on the stove.
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1½ cups Hearty Soup Mix
- 1½ tsp salt
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 14.5 ounce cans tomatoes (I used Muir Glen Red and Yellow Diced with their juices)
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 lb ground beef
- In a dutch oven combine chicken stock, water, soup mix and salt. Simmer 1 hour.
- Add carrots, celery, cabbage, tomatoes and ground beef. Simmer 25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.