Ah summer salads. Cool, crisp and delicious. Especially this carrot and cucumber salad. This will make even the staunchest carrot haters love it. Take my neighbor, she hates raw carrots but had a huge helping of this salad. And loved it. The key is to serve it nice and cold. Really, really cold.
It’s especially delicious with hot dogs, brats and smoked meat. We had friends over last night and served it with all those steaming meats. A little salad, some chips and dip (like my Avocado Dip from last week).
This one happens to vegan and gluten free too. Pretty hand for Summer Entertaining.
- 1 bag shredded carrots
- 1 cucumber, julienned
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Dash of ground red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced chives
- In a large bowl combine carrot and cucumber.
- Whisk together olive oil, lemon zest and juice, salt/pepper. cumin, red pepper. garlic, Dijon mustard.
- Pour over carrot and cucumber mixture about an hour before serving.
- Top with sunflower seeds and chives.